Thursday 13 August 2009

Louis Den Beat Cypher 06 Spotlight - SIR OJ

Not sure if im gonna get one from Urban Monk *COUGH..HINT* lol, but heres the last for now!! Amsterdam/SlumGullions SIR OJ...baaang, read the gems download the goods!.



Hey!!, please introduce yourself to everybody; let us know who you are what you do and how long you've been doing it!.
My name is SirOJ a composer, beatcreator, producer and sometimes songwriter.

Was there a defining moment (event / hearing a record etc) that led you into making beats / becoming a producer?.
Eversince I was a kid I was creating music with tapedecks, piano, guitar and some percussion. When my dad bought a PC it became possible to create some grooves with a few simple software tools. After I tried a lot tools, a friend gave me a copy of Reason 1. That's when it all started!

What was your first peice of equipment and what were those beats like?, any interesting stories about things were doing to begin with / finding your feet?
The first equipment I used producing real beats we're my dad's PC and a old Yamaha keyboard, wich I used as a midi-controller.
Because I took piano classes and I played a lot of jazz and funk all my beats became 'funky' and 'jazzy'. Not realy straight up hiphop. When I discovered the sounds of the legendary producer J Dilla I got inspired because of the balance between jazz, soul music and hiphop he managed to put in his beats.

Whats the one bit of advice youd give to anyone starting out today?
Make sure you know something about music in general. Do not just copy everything you here on MTV and radio.
Just find your own way trough all the different subgenres within Hiphop.

What can heads expect from you at LOUIS DEN BEAT CYPHER?
Some typical OJ shit I guess. Some bangers, some crazy crack music and some other shits to vibe on!!!



FREE MUSIC PRODUCED BY SIR OJ
Remixing EP (produced by SIR OJ & FS GREEN)
Slumgullion - Disko (produced by Slumgullion)
Sir OJ - State Beat Tape (produced for State Magazine)


Official SIR OJ / SlumGullion
Holla @ Sir OJ on Twitter
Sir OJ's Myspace

No comments: