Thursday 22 October 2009

Louis Den Beat Cypher 07 Spotlight - Knox Brown

Next up we have Jamaican born Birmingham based Knox Brown, I got hip to Knox through Kelz, first heard him through a joint he produced on the dope Malik (of MD7) mixtape "Rappers Rapper". We did the whole "scoping out a new producer" thing and hit up dude on Myspace, we eventually linked and even got him into the lab for a couple sessions (Street Fighter 2 / Middle Eastern Beats) and as we're trying to showcase beats from Birmingham, Louis Den family and bigger names alike Knox was perfect to get involved.

Read about him below!.




1) Hey!!, please introduce yourself to everybody; let us know who you are what you do and how long you've been doing it!.
I’m Knox Brown; I am a Producer/Singer/Songwriter. I work part time as a sound engineer for an indie rock/jazz record company. I am also a student at University. I’ve been producing since um....when did music 2000 for Playstation come out? lol


2) Was there a defining moment (event / hearing a record etc) that led you into making beats / becoming a producer?.
I got into Hip Hop when I first heard Busta Rhymes’ “Dangerous”. My favourite rapper by the way but, I prefer the early-late 90’s Busta. I think I fell in love with Just Blaze’s beats when I heard Jay-Z’s Incredible (Produced by Just Blaze). I used to love JD’s Beats aswell but didn’t know it was him lol.


3) What was your first piece of equipment and what were those beats like?, any interesting stories about things were doing to begin with / finding your feet?
Tascam 4 Track connected to a Casio keyboard and an old dynamic microphone. I then moved on to Music 2000 for Playstation, Music Generator, and aswell as Ejay from a Kellogg’s cereal packet lol. I tried using fruity loops at one point liked it but, I went to college and found “REASON 2.5” (choir of angels) lol. And i have stuck with it ever since I’m now on Reason 4.


4) Whats the one bit of advice youd give to anyone starting out today?
Work with what you have. Master your equipment. Enjoy Music, Listen to different genres inspiration can come from anywhere.



Get At Knox On Myspace
Knox Brown Myspace

No comments: