Thursday 10 December 2009

Louis Den Beat Cypher 08 Spotlight - Budgie

Ahhh man what a day...some behind the scenes MADNESS going on with the beat cypher tonight (pretty much had to sort a backup plan for travel for the London people only to abandon it last minute..props to the postman on the late time phew!!!)

AITE!! Last up with the spotlights we got BUDGIE...the man with the smoothest beats and swagger off the meter!!



1) Hey!!, please introduce yourself to everybody; let us know who you are what you do and how long you've been doing it!.
What up! my name's budgie, i make beats, dj, collect records, work in a record store and do anything i can that's music related.. I've been doing beats for about 7 or 8 years.

2) Was there a defining moment (event / hearing a record etc) that led you into making beats / becoming a producer?.
Theres not one defining moment, it's mix of different music, people and events. My Dad has a record shop (www.honestjons.com) so he always played me alot of Jazz, Soul, Reggae and Hip-Hop as a little kid. My favorite track when I was really young was Masta Ace 'Me & the Biz', mainly because of the record cover and the crazy Biz voice,but I think it left a lasting impression. I also did piano lessons as a kid (hated it, just wanted a synth to make 'cool music'), then a few years later my music teacher at school recognised I had an ear for music and got me out of my maths lessons to do cubase lessons and I learned how to program drums and lay down chords. Around the same time I got some turntables and started collecting records when I was 13, and I actually thought this was all I needed to start sampling, so I had to wait til the next year to get my first sampler.

3) What was your first peice of equipment and what were those beats like?, any interesting stories about things were doing to begin with / finding your feet?
My first sampler was the Boss SP505, kinda similar to the SP303 that Madlib uses, except my one has a little LCD screen. The beats I made on that were alright, but I was just learning and had no idea about how to get my beats to sound in reality, the way I heard them in my head. I'd basically pick a random record from my dads collection and chop it up. Eventually I had used up all 99 user save slots and didn't wanna delete any of the beats I had made so I got Reason, started doing all my stuff on there and I've never looked back.

4) Whats the one bit of advice youd give to anyone starting out today?
Keep workin on it, don't get frustrated if you make a wack beat, just make another one and eventually you will make something worth listening to..

5) What can heads expect from you at LOUIS DEN BEAT CYPHER?
Some smooth, hard, funky music..



and we out!!! for now!...stay tuned to the @LouisDen Twitter for news on streaming BEAT CYPHER 08....better yet turn up for it in the flesh!! details here - http://bit.ly/5Qb9TC

No comments: