Tuesday 20 April 2010

Beat Cypher 09 Spotlight - Jeekay

Okay so I just posted the beat cypher info below just in case you didn't know (it has been on the right hand side for the last month or so but hey!).

So yeah continuing the beat cypher tradition we've got another set of Beat Cypher Spotlight blogs which profile each of the producers that'll be taking part in the showcase.


First up is youngest in charge Jeekay who was introduced to the ldbb fold via Jon Phonics waaay back in our 2008 league; since then he's been killing the weekly challenges and 2009 league contributing flamers week in week out!!, he chops it up below.

1)Hey!!, please introduce yourself to everybody; let us know who you are what you do and how long you've been doing it!.
Easy folks, i'm Jeekay, i'm 20 years old and I live in London. I've
been making beats for just over three years and i've been involved
with the Louisden family for about two!

2) Was there a defining moment (event / hearing a record etc) that led you into making beats / becoming a producer?.
I remember hearing 'Defeat' by Afu Ra whilst watching a skate video
when I was about 15 and being absolutely mesmerized, to the point
where I was rewinding the tape over and over again just to hear the
beat. That was the moment that sparked my interest in Hip Hop, which
in turn made me want me to get a set of turntables. I lost interest in
dj'ing when I was about 17, but by this time i'd familiarized myself
with guys like Pete Rock and Preemo and I decided it was time to start
making beats myself.

3) What was your first peice of equipment and what were those beats like?, any interesting stories about things were doing to begin with / finding your feet?
I started out on a demo version of Fruity Loops on my parent's PC in
their spare room. My dad bought a turntable with the intention of
recording his LPs to MP3, but I started using it to record records
into FL and eventually I bought my own PC and set up a makeshift
studio in my room with the help of an old hi-fi my mum's friend gave
me! I got alot of helpful feedback from Jon Phonics when I first
started out and I used to burn new beats to CD and play them in a
friend of mine's car during breaks at school. I'd always try to make
the next CD better than the last which really helped me develop my
sound.

4) Whats the one bit of advice youd give to anyone starting out today?
It's been said a million times, but just do you. Whether you feel like
making something with someone like Styles P in mind or if you prefer
making beats that sound like they'd work on an Omarion album, don't
hesitate to experiment. I have weeks where all I want to do is make
smooth stuff, but then the next week I feel inspired to make something
a bit tougher and I find it's best to just go with the flow.

5) What can heads expect from you at LOUIS DEN BEAT CYPHER?
Hopefully a few decent beats, played by someone who looks like he'd
probably fit in more comfortably at a wine bar than a beat cypher.


LINKS
  • Jeekay - Cheeky Bits (2010) - Compilation of beats and a remix
  • Hit up Jeekay on Myspace
  • No comments: