Wednesday 16 June 2010

Louis Den Beat Cypher 10 Spotlight - BUG

BUG is a badman plain and simple, he's been out and about for a few years with production scattered about under a former alias as well as taking part in the 2008 league and winning the 2009 league, he also took part in our little beat showcase slash workshop that we conducted for the Red Bull Music Academy session in Glasgow last year.

Recently he got things poppin as a soloist via the justlikemusic label with his debut release Cosmic Lab / 20 Winks and features on their Oscilations compilations, he's also been doing a few sly mixes on the low (linked at the bottom of the post), lets see what the upandcoming builder of future funk has gotta say!


1) Hey!!, please introduce yourself to everybody; let us know who you are what you do and how long you've been doing it!.
My name is BUG, I am a Hip-Hop/Soul producer from London, I've been into music for the greater part of my life but only started releasing music in 2010.


2) Was there a defining moment (event / hearing a record etc) that led you into making beats / becoming a producer?
Too many things have influenced or shattered my ideas about music to list one!


3) What was your first peice of equipment and what were those beats like?, any interesting stories about things were doing to begin with / finding your feet?
First started making 'beats' on cracked versions of Soundforge/Acid for PC, which basically consisted of looped/cut samples being placed together on a grid with a mouse... Although the beats were wack and my sound and approach is totally different now (I prefer to play/trigger everything live for a more natural sound) it actually tought me alot about the sequencing side of making music!


4) Whats the one bit of advice youd give to anyone starting out today?
I feel like alot of producers learning the ropes are lazy, which is more symptomatic of our society in general rather than music. There's nothing wrong with asking questions but don't expect people to hand things to you on a plate, if you really want to learn be patient, disciplined and self-sufficient.


5) What can heads expect from you at LOUIS DEN BEAT CYPHER?
I like your description actually! - "expect headcrack soul and lush soundscapes!" - other than that, I try to avoid loops and make my stuff progressive with evolving arrangements.

No comments: