Tuesday 15 June 2010

Louis Den Beat Cypher 10 Spotlight - Smith The Mister

It's beat cypher week! so we'll be hitting you off with the spotlight blogs to get you better aquainted with the producer line up and hopefully put you on to some treats you may not have bumped in the past!

First up is Birmingham's own Smith The Mister. I got put onto Smith via Myke Forte who told me about another producer who he made beats with before he (Myke) moved to Milton Keynes for a brief period.

Smith made his first Louis Den appearence during the 2009 league where he finished among the top of Division 3, not bad considering he entereed a third of the way in!! alright so heres the scoop on the man of many styles Smith The Mister.




1) Hey!!, please introduce yourself to everybody; let us know who you are what you do and how long you've been doing it!.
I’m Smith The Mister born and raised in Birmingham. I've been messing with music since 1998, but producing seriously about 4 years, all in all so much too long. ha.

I make a varied array of music from Hip Hop to House & Electro to Broken beat & downtempo child out stuff (I like alot of music genres).

2) Was there a defining moment (event / hearing a record etc) that led you into making beats / becoming a producer?.
My defining moment was in school, i really wanted to do Art as a GSCE but due to me being a class clown i wasn't able to choose it as a subject ( I was a little wild at school ).

As an alternative i was given the option to do Music GCSE and the rest is history as they say.

3) What was your first peice of equipment and what were those beats like?, any interesting stories about things were doing to begin with / finding your feet?
My first piece of equipment I owned was an AKAI S2000 sampler and an ATARI ST 1040 Running Cubase. Man I love samples, I REALLY LOVE SAMPLES! so having the sampler was amazing.

The Music I made back then was mad due to the fact that I loved experimenting with samples, recording either from CDs or From vinyl. I wish I still had some of them beats.


4) Whats the one bit of advice youd give to anyone starting out today?
My advice I would give to any one who is a producer or is looking to start making music is......... Listen Listen Listen..... what I mean is listen to music not just for samples or ideas just top expand your musical vocabulary.

If you don’t listen and learn to appreciate other musical genres, other than the one your into, can make you a closed minded musician. music is all about expression what ever the genre so its important to see how and appreciate this.
For example. when i started making music i only made Drum & Bass, 5 years ago i started listening to so many other times of music not only to get samples and cool sounds but to also to educate myself. Now i Listen to Rock, Soul, Metal ( YES METAL, check out a band called "Skin Dread" Very cool Metal band), House...... And the list goes on.


5) What can heads expect from you at LOUIS DEN BEAT CYPHER?
Hopefully good music!

No comments: